History

The Hungarian Royal University, founded in 1912, initially wanted to establish its core collection based on the collection of the Debrecen Reformed College. The organization of an independent central library only took place in 1915, when the negotiations with the college were not successful. The Minister of Religion and Public Education appointed Antal Csige Varga in March 1916 to be a librarian, who started to organize the library.

Csige half a year later, on 29 September, presented the organization and code of conduct of the library. Two years later the library of the University of Debrecen opened its doors to the readers in a downtown tenement hall.

After the first decade with constant stock and staffing problems, the '30s brought a real quality change to the life of the library. In 1929, István Nyíreő, a true professional, was appointed as a director, and finally, the construction works of the University's Main Building started, in which a whole wing was designed for the library. He prepared the relocation of 80,000 volumes, and he was seriously involved in planning the interior design of the library.

The relocation was completed by the end of January 1933, and the library was waiting for its readers in a desirable environment and became one of the country's most important collections in the mid-forties.

Until the end of the second world war, Debrecen only had one university and one library.

However, after the war, the university was split into new institutions that also started to set up their libraries.

First, in 1947, the medical department (later DOTE) implemented its more than 25-year plan, when it created an independent medical library.

It was followed by the establishment of the library of the Department of Agriculture (later DATE), in 1953, in a new building at Böszörményi street, and the same was done by the Engineering Department (1965), the Hajdúböszörmény Kindergarten Teacher Training College (1972) and the College of Music (1974).

The former central library became known as the KLTE University Library in the following 50 years.

(Source: 100 év tükrében)

Updated: 2019.01.09.